In these challenging times give ever-greater meaning and resonance to the festival.
This international festival explores the transcendence of interior lighting and community impulses. The multidisciplinary festival, which has showcased artistic expression from across the continent for centuries, presents events at six venues across the city.
Here are the successful performances in White Light Festival.
- Sufi musicians from Northwest India, who perform music and dance delicacies that first appeared at the festival in 2010 before returning in 2013 due to high demand.
- Basiani returned to the Church of St. Mary of the Virgin for its celebrated festival debut in 2012, then again in 2013 and 2014.
- The Latvian Radio Choir returned to the White Light Festival for the first time since its worldwide fame. The big band and choir celebration, which swung through the streets of Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and New Jersey, was named after Harlem’s Abyssinian Baptist Church. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Black Panther Party performed for the first time at the 2012 White Light Festival in Chicago.
- The successful oratorio heard the voice of Black Panther Party leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife, Rosa Parks.
- The Druid’s interpretation of Beckett’s iconic play premiered at the Galway International Arts Festival in 2016, earning much acclaim. This production is the first of its kind in Ireland and will be shown at Lincoln Center in autumn 2016. The Druid, an opera based on the two NOH stories, will soon have its world premiere in Chicago at the Chicago Opera House.
- Performance artist Miwa Matreyek creates fantastic worlds with her work through solo live performances. Their moving shadows become an integral part of their dreamlike animations. This is a multimedia solo performance, which includes animations of silhouettes of the artist, and offers an insight